The Open University skip to content Accessibility

Materials Engineering Group


Fully Funded PhD Position - Micro scale stresses and strains occurring during martensitic transformations


The materials engineering group at the Open University is one of the UK’s leading research teams focusing on stress analysis in engineering materials. We have active collaborations with UK and European industry, including Rolls Royce Plc, Areva and EDF and have close links with central facilities such as the ISIS neutron source.

The aim of this project is to optimise experimental techniques such as digital image correlation (DIC) and focused ion beam (FIB) hole drilling to investigate the micro scale stresses and strains occurring during martensitic transformations. The techniques will be applied to a range of materials from simple steels to complex shape memory alloys. There will also be scope within the project to study martensitic alloys using central facilities such as the ILL, ESRF and Diamond light source.

The project will suit a candidate with a mechanical engineering or materials first degree. Due to the scope of the project, experience of materials testing and steel metallurgy is desirable, however not essential. For more information please contact

The maintenance grant for all funded studentships in the 2012/13 academic year is 13,590 per annum. This figure will normally increase annually in line with inflation.

Click here for an application form.

Please send completed applications to Dr Richard Moat ONLY; do not send your application to multiple addressees, this will delay processing and may cause you to miss the deadline.

Research Degrees

See the Research Degrees web pages for information about PhD studies at The Open University, including the Prospectus, 'Being an OU Student', Fees and Funding' and 'How to Apply'. Please read the instructions in each of the positions listed above, as these may differ from those given in the Research Degrees web pages.


Immigration Information

Overseas students and applicants should be aware of the rapidly evolving regulations regarding study in the UK. The UK Border Agency website gives up-to-date information on visas for students. Most research students will need to apply to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before a visa can be obtained. Successful applicants should be aware that the Research School will offer a great deal of guidance on the immigration process and you should not attempt to start either ATAS or visa application before they have advised you.